Monday, August 10, 2009

Wonders of the World

I'm not sure if it's just me, but it seems as I get older, I forget what it's like to see the world through the eyes of my children. We've been making yearly pilgrimages to Toronto to visit the grand-parents for over a decade, and have done our share of the tourist stuff. Though I realized it's been mostly 'adventure' type attractions. We've gone to Canada's Wonderland (more times than I can count) we've done the Toronto Zoo and Chuck E Cheese. They've walked around the parks by my parent's house and seen Lake Ontario. But until yesterday, they'd never gone downtown.

Now for those of you not familiar with downtown Toronto, it's not the most fun place to drive around. Like any big city, the streets are packed, full of one-way roads and drivers who should be nominated for Canada's Worst Driver. (Here's hoping I'm not one of them, lol) You can never turn left and there's always someone illegally parked. But it's also full of history. The sky dome... where the Blue Jays play major league baseball, the Air Canada centre... where the Toronto Maple Leafs play hockey... there's the convention centre the hockey hall of fame, and of course... the all mighty CN Tower.

I've been up the Tower once... when I was quite young and it was Canada's Prime attraction. But over the years, I suppose I've just got used to seeing the World Renown monument gracing the skyline. I didn't think that the kids would be interested in something as uneventful as a tower... I was wrong.

After a full-fledged bout of begging, I agreed to take them downtown... and we had the best time. Who knew being 147 stories up could be so much fun... And if you only could have seen their faces. Dear eyed they stared out at the city, seeing it from a whole new perspective. They read all the facts plastered around the site and watched the documentary on how it was made. We even got to go on a thrill ride in the basement that had us laughing. It was truly one of the best days I've spent with them since we arrived... and it was all in the name of history.

After three decades, the CN Tower is still the world's tallest building standing 1518 feet high and over 150 stories. We got a 3-D puzzle to take home and build together and another puzzle of the Toronto Skyline... Who knew history could be so much fun.

It's times like these I remember why having children is such a gift. They help me see the world in a way I thought I'd forgotten. Thanks Kyle, Jared and Sydney. You guys rock and I'm the luckiest mom to have been blessed with three awesome kids... now if I can only get you to stop jumping on the furniture...

Have a great week, and I'll post again once we're back in the land of west... Courtenay here we come....

Kris
Romancing life...one adventure at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun - We don't have many mega-tall buildings here in Los Angeles - for obvious reasons. ;)

    Enjoy your time with them - in a blink they grow up.

    :)
    G.

    ReplyDelete